Feel comfortable in your skin
Scarring and Stretch Marks are often cause for concern. Some beauty products offer a range of non-invasive treatments to improve the appearance of scarring and stretch marks.
Scars are areas of fibrous tissue that replace normal skin after injury. Depending on the cause and any factors affecting the healing process, such as inflammation or genetics, this may cause variation in the type of scar you get. Some different types of scarring are:
- Acne Scarring (commonly Atrophic)
- Stretch marks (Striae)
- Surgical or Traumatic Scar (can become Hypertrophic)
- Keloid Scars
Acne scars are typically indented (Atrophic) because of collagen loss from intense inflammation. Picking and squeezing of pimples leads to more inflammation and injury of your skin, which adds to the discolouration and depth of scarring.
Stretch marks don’t all look alike. They vary depending on how long you’ve had them, what caused them and where they are on your body, as well as on the type of skin you have. Common variations include:
- Indented streaks or lines in the skin
- Multiple pink, red or purple streaks
- Bright streaks that fade to a light pink, white or grayish color
Stretch marks are common on the abdomen, breasts, upper arms, buttocks and thighs and are caused, literally, by a stretching of the skin. Stretch marks develop in a variety of circumstances, including:
- Pregnancy. Most pregnant women develop stretch marks by the end of their pregnancy. The physical stretching of the skin, along with hormonal factors, likely plays a role.
- Weight gain. Stretch marks sometimes occur during substantial weight gain. Weightlifters can develop stretch marks, particularly on the arms. Adolescents may notice stretch marks during growth spurts.
- Medication use. Corticosteroid creams, lotions and pills and chronic use of oral or systemic steroids can cause stretch marks.
- Conditions or diseases. Cushing’s syndrome and adrenal gland diseases can cause widespread stretch marks, as can Marfan syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and other hereditary (genetic) disorders.
Surgical or Traumatic Scar (Hypertrophic)
Hypertrophic scars occur when the body overproduces collagen, which causes the scar to be raised above the surrounding skin , but remains with
in the boundaries if the original wound/incision. They generally develop after thermal or traumatic injury that involves the deep layers of the dermis or tension on the healing wound.
Keloids are larger and more pronounced than regular scars. They can be painful or itchy, and may also pucker. They extend beyond the edges of an original wound or incision. Keloids can occur anywhere on the body. The cause is unknown but it’s more common in people with darker pigmentation.
Remedy for Scars and Stretch Marks
Bio Oil is a specialist skincare product that helps improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks and uneven skin tone.
Its advanced formulation, which contains the breakthrough ingredient PurCellin Oil, also makes it highly effective for numerous other skin concerns, including aging skin and dehydrated skin.
Bio Oil is formualted with the following all-natural ingredients: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Calendula Oil, Lavender Oil, Rosemary Oil and Chamomile Oil
Bio Oil is a non-comedogenic (acnegenic), hypo-allergenic product that is suitable for use by individuals with sensitive skin.
Improving the Appearance of Scars
Bio-Oil helps improve the appearance of all scar types. It is also highly effective in helping to maintain the elasticity of scar tissue on joints and other high-mobility areas.
Bio-Oil should be massaged in a circular motion into the scar and surrounding skin, twice daily, for a minimum of 3 months. Younger scars have a greater chance of improvement within a shorter time period, however, older scars will also benefit from the regular use of Bio-Oil. On new scars, Bio-Oil should be applied only once the wound has healed, and should never be used on broken skin.
What is a scar and how is it formed?
Scars are an integral part of the healing process and result from an imbalance in the production of collagen at the wound site. Scars go through numerous changes as they mature, but they are permanent in nature. Bio-Oil is specifically formulated to help improve the appearance of scars, but will never remove them entirely.
Improving the Appearance of Uneven Skin Tone
Bio-Oil helps to improve the appearance of uneven skin tone caused by hormonal fluctuations, skin-lighteners or excessive sun exposure. Visible as dark patches on the face or body, uneven skin tone often becomes most apparent during pregnancy, menopause or after exposure to high volumes of UV light.
Improving the Appearance of Stretch Marks
Bio-Oil is highly effective in helping to improve the appearance of existing stretch marks. Bio-Oil helps to increase the elasticity of the skin, thereby the possibility of new stretch marks forming is reduced.
Sagging and wrinkled skin commonly associated with aging is largely caused by the weakening of the collagen and elastin support system in the dermis. Bio-Oil contains numerous ingredients that help to plasticize the skin, making it softer, smoother and more supple, thereby reducing the appearance of wrinkled and sagging skin. Bio-Oil also moisturizes, which improves the texture, tone and appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Bio Oil helps replenish the skin’s natural oils that have been stripped away by factors such as:
- Frequent bathing/cleansing with harsh soaps.
- Excessive perspiration.
- Atmospheric conditions including exposure to the sun and wind.
- Central heating and air conditioning.
- Poor diet and/or insufficient water intake.
A truly mutli-tasker
Even though we know it better as the No. 1 selling stretch mark and scar remedy in 18 countries, Bio-Oil is really a do-it-all skin saviour to help us get gorgeous from head to toe. And who better to steal the secrets of extracting the most out of this no-nonsense multi-tasker than celebrity hair & makeup artist and Bio-Oil fan, Andrea Claire? While the possibilities seem endless, here are our favourite uses of the little miracle worker:
- Multi-Tasking Facial Moisturiser: Yes, you can safely enjoy the goodness of this exceptional product on your face. Thanks to the patented PurCellin Oil, Bio-Oil sinks in deep within a split second to effectively moisturise without leaving an oily residue (always a mega plus in our humid weather!). Carrying along a treasure trove of nourishing botanical extracts and age-fighting vitamins A & E, it will be your trusty sidekick who fends off the ravages of time quietly while you go about conquering the challenges of life. On top of bolstering skin’s wrinkle-resistance, 93 percent of subjects in a clinical trial also noticed an improvement in their uneven skin tone and blotchiness in just 6 weeks.
- Acne Scar Healer: Being non-comedogenic, Bio-Oil can be used as either as a spot treatment to lighten dark pimple marks or as a non-greasy moisturiser to keep combination skin balanced, thus preventing excessive dryness and irritation due to acne products.
- Makeup Primer: Smoothing on a tiny amount before your foundation is all you need to imbue a delicious dewy glow sans oily streakiness. Alternatively, just dab it on your cheekbones for a pretty, highlighting sheen.
- Cosmetic Transformer: Turn your powder or pigment eyeshadows to achieve a ‘wet eye look’ that’s all over the runways this Fall. Compared to the usual vaseline, the Bio-Oil makeup base is less prone to messy migration. Similarly, blend a itsy-bitsy amount to your blusher or foundation for a sheer wash of colour and tinted moisturiser to look perfectly primped on your day-off. The featherweight oil also makes blending on overly fast-drying cheek & lip stains a breeze.
- After-Sun Soother: Besides acting as a protective layer over skin to hold in moisture, natural botanicals such as chamomile extract, calendula oil and rosemary oil further soothe and nurse scorched skin back to a healthy post-holiday glow.
- Cuticle Protector: Massage the vitamin E-rich Bio-Oil into your cuticles and manicured nails to keep them healthy and strong.
- Frizz Fighter: Smooth on the last bit of Bio-Oil onto dry hair ends as a hair serum, or finger comb through unruly tresses to tame flyaways and frizzy fros.
- Massage Oil: Knead away the day’s tension and perfect your body skin simultaneously. The calming and lightly-scented lavender, calendula and rosemary oils keep you zen, while the skin-bettering Bio-Oil smooth away stretch marks, parched skin and post-bacne or insect-bite marks. Don’t forget those neglected elbows and knobbly knees.
- Pre-Shave Skin Prep: Slather on this versatile beauty helper before shaving to soften skin and prevent nicks.
Duchess of Cambridge
Kate Middleton, 34, — you love her, we love her, Prince William loves her. With her natural beauty, grace and impeccable style, she’s our generation’s Grace Kelly. No doubt you’ve been wondering, how does the Duchess of Cambridge do it?
Introductory Offer: Buy 1 and get 2nd at 50% off!
Like and share this article.